Windows 72″ above the ground can pose a fall risk for young children. Most window falls happen to children ages 2 to 5. Remember, screens are not designed to withstand the weight of a child–they are intended only as insect screens and are designed to be easily removed. To protect your child, make sure your windows can only open less than 4 inches. Newer homes may have built-in limiters, but most windows will need a window stop or window guard to be installed.
- Keep furniture and anything a child can climb on away from windows.
- Allow windows to open less than 4 inches and install window stops or guards to keep children from opening them further. (Be sure an adult can open them in an emergency).
- Teach your children to play a safe distance from any window and that “screens keep bugs out; they do not keep kids in”.
- Remember, windows also serve as an emergency escape. Be sure windows can open without special knowledge or tools.
- When buying new windows, ask for ones with built in 4-inch limiters (WOCDs).
Randall Children’s Hospital Safety Center
Legacy Emanuel Medical Center Atrium
501 N. Graham St., Portland, OR 97227 (Free curbside valet parking available)
Regular hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-noon or by appointment.
The Safety Center provides home safety products for purchase including window stops and window guards. They offer personalized, 1:1 consultation regarding proper installation and use. Resources including Safety Tips, Videos and Practical Help fliers can be viewed on the website.
The following Practical Help fliers can be downloaded:
- Windows that may pose a fall risk
- Know your window type
- Window stop options
- Window stop selector grid
- Window guard options
- Window guard selector grid
- Measuring single or double-hung windows for guards
- Measuring slider windows for guards
- Measuring casement windows for guards
The Safety Store works to increase access to safety supplies by operating a nonprofit safety store, selling a variety of childproofing equipment, window stops, window guards, safety gates, helmets, and protective gear at below-retail prices.
To order product, or find a local retailer, please go to Where to Buy Window Products.