Homes with second and third story windows can pose a fall-risk hazard for young children. Most window falls occur to children ages 2 to 5. Remember, screens are not designed to withstand the weight of a child–they are intended only as insect screens and are designed to be easily removed. To protect your child, make sure your windows can’t be opened more than 4 inches. Newer homes may have built-in limiters however, for most windows, a window stop or window guard will need to be installed.
- Keep furniture and anything a child can climb on away from windows.
- Only allow windows to open 4 inches or less and install window stops or guards to keep children from opening them further. (Be sure an adult can open them in an emergency).
- Teach your children to play a safe distance from any window and that “screens keep bugs out; they do not keep kids in”.
- Remember, windows also serve as an emergency escape. Be sure windows can open without special knowledge or tools.
- When buying new windows, ask for ones with built in 4-inch limiters.
Stop at 4 brochure in English (Pdf)
Stop at 4 brochure in Spanish (Pdf)
Stop at 4 window cling (Pdf)
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission video on window safety.
Randall Children’s Hospital Safety Center
Legacy Emanuel Medical Center Atrium
501 N. Graham St., Portland, OR 97227 (Free curbside valet parking available)
Regular hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-noon or by appointment.
The Safety Center provides home safety products for purchase including window stops and window guards. They offer personalized, 1:1 consultation regarding proper installation and use. Resources including Safety Tips, Videos and Practical Help fliers can be viewed on the website.
The following Practical Help fliers can be downloaded:
- Windows that may pose a fall risk
- Know your window type
- Window stop options
- Window stop selector grid
- Window guard options
- Window guard selector grid
- Measuring single or double-hung windows for guards
- Measuring slider windows for guards
- Measuring casement windows for guards
The Safety Store works to increase access to safety supplies by operating a nonprofit safety store, selling a variety of childproofing equipment, window stops, window guards, safety gates, helmets, and protective gear at below-retail prices.
To order product, or find a local retailer, please go to Where to Buy Window Products.